Glasgow Photo Library
- Clyde Maritime Centre
Clyde Maritime Centre has been created beside an old "Pumphouse" which was built in 1877 to provide hydraulic power for the Queen's Dock - in the days when ships from every corner of the world called in at Glasgow's riverside.
The Clyde Maritime Centre opened in 1999. There is a museum and a restaurant and, taking pride of place, the sailing ship "Glenlee" moored on the Clyde. The ship was originally launched on the Clyde in 1896 and was used around the world as a cargo vessel. It was restored by the Clyde Maritime Centre after it had been bought from the Spanish navy where it had been used as a training ship.
See also Places to Visit - Clyde Maritime Centre> for more information and illustrations.
Go to the next Glasgow location: Coat of Arms
Or return to the Glasgow Photo Library Index>.
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
News & Views>
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Scottish Pictorial Calendar>
Places to Visit>