"Scotland in Colour Week by Week" contains a selection of flowers, animals and scenery typical of the time of year. The photographs were previously part of a regular "Colour Supplement" which ran for nearly four years as part of the original Scottish Snippets newsletter. While seasons do vary, this collection gives a good idea of the flora and fauna typical of central Scotland at each time of year.
The index below will take you to the individual pages for 52 weeks of the year.
- 1st Week January Birds this week include gulls, siskin, chaffinch, swan; and other graphics include sunsets, Pollok House, Royal Mile, St Giles Cathedral, Gatehouse of Dunfermline Palace, Andrew Carnegie's Birthplace, Pittencrieff House and City Chambers in Dunfermline.
- 2nd Week January Birds this week include teal, coots, bluetit; and other graphics include Edinburgh Castle, river Tay, St John's Kirk and High Street in Perth, Fair Maid of Perth, rainbow, sculpture, Dumbarton Castle, Loch Fyne at Inveraray, near Oban, a stag, sunsets.
- 3rd Week January Flowers this week include catkins, gorse ; birds include gadwall, mallard, swan and greylag; and other graphics include Campsie Fells, Tay Valley, Huntingtower Castle, Black Watch Museum in Balhousie Castle, Forth Road and Rail Bridges, shark, seal and stingray at Deep Sea World, Airth Castle.
- 4th Week January Flowers this week include snowdrops, hammamelis (witch hazel), poinsettia, skimmia, heather; birds include oystercatchers and goldeneye; and other graphics include Doulton Fountain, Holyrood Park, Pollok Student Halls of Residence, Royal Observatory in Edinburgh, Prestonfield House, Highland cow, Edinburgh castle, Scott Monument, Balmoral Hotel, Waverley station Ramsay Gardens and St Giles cathedral (all in Edinburgh), Blackness castle, Torwood castle.
- 1st Week February Flowers this week include Camellia, Hyacinth, Snowdrop, Skimmia berries and Rhododendron; birds include Pochard; and other graphics include a sunset, River Clyde, Princes Street in Edinburgh, Sir Walter Scott statue, Royal Scottish Academy, Dunmore Pineapple, Parish Church at Airth, Tolbooth and Abbey at Culross.
- 2nd Week February Flowers this week include Snowdrop, Crocus, Orchid, Iris Denticulata, Viburnum, Hamamelis; birds include Chaffinch; and other graphics include the Assembly Hall in Edinburgh, John Knox statue, Earl Haig statue, "Nemo Me Impune Lacessit", Robert the Bruce and William Wallace statues, Witches Fountain in Edinburgh, Edinburgh Castle, Balmoral Hotel.
- 3rd Week February Flowers this week include snowdrops, winter flowering jasmine, cherry blossom, aconite, leucojum, helleborus, polyanthus; birds include goosander, goldeneye, long-tailed tit, pigeon, tufted duck, rock pipit; and other graphics include a statue of James Clerk Maxwell in Edinburgh.
- 4th Week February Flowers this week include helleborus, snowdrops, camellia, osteospermum, ; birds include oyster catchers, Canada geese, tufted duck, black swan, robin, ; butterflies include ; and other graphics include Loch Lomond and Ben Lomond, Kilsyth, palm trees at Culzean Castle, tramcar, stagecoach, Hillman Imp car,
- 1st Week March Flowers this week include crocus and other graphics include Firth of Clyde, Ayrshire town of Largs, Cathedral of the Isles on Cumbrae, sunset over Glasgow, Mitchell Library, Glasgow, "Greek" Thomson Church, Duke of Wellington Statue, Clyde Clock, Buchanan Street Bus Station, Gallery of Modern Art, Radisson Hotel, St Bride's Chapel in Douglas, Good Sir Robert Douglas burial tomb, Douglas Castle, Polish Memorial, Wanlockhead in Dumfries and Galloway, War Memorial, Wanlockhead
- 2nd Week March Flowers this week include crocus, daffodils, Polyanthus; birds include Pink-footed Goose, Redshank, Eider Ducks; and other graphics include Sunset over Gare Loch, roe deer, Lion Sculpture, Holyrood Park, Greyfriars Bobby,
- 3rd Week March Flowers this week include polyanthus, crocus, helleborus, daffodils, rhododendron, cherry blossom; birds include redshanks and eider ducks; and other graphics include Ben Lomond and Loch Lomond.
- 4th Week March Flowers this week include daffodils, crocus, rhododendron, magnolia, euphorbia; birds include pintails, kestrel, teal, eider ducks, mallard, mandarin duck; and other graphics include Stirling castle, Church of the Holy Rude in Stirling, Loch Lomond, University of Glasgow and River Kelvin.
- 1st Week April - Daffodils, Saltire, Sheriffmuir, Ochil Hills, Wood Mouse, Robin, Stag, Heather, Primula Denticulata, Highland Cow and Calf.
- 2nd Week April - Aubretia, Anemone Nemerosa, Geilston, Kids, Magnolia, Rhododendron, Comma Butterfly, Pied Wagtail, Chaenomoles, Loch of Lowes, Daffodils, White Peacock, Scone Palace
- 3rd Week April - Yellow Magnolia, Catkins, Sycamore, Corylopsis, Yellow Rhododendron, Candy Striped Camellia, Anemone Pulsatilla, Newborn Lamb, Magnolia Stellata, Water Rail.
- 4th Week April - Bellisle Golf Course, Ladybird, Cherry Blossom, Tulips, Walled Garden in Cambo Estate, Lavender, Fritallaria, Oil Seed Rape, Firth of Clyde, Treecreeper, Anemone.
- 1st Week May - Great Crested Grebe., Daffodils and Rhododendron, Pansy and Lesser Celandine, Parrot Tulip, Orange Tip Butterlies, River Tummel at Pitlochry, Spring Lambs, Gorse, Sunset, Common Dog Violet.
- 2nd Week May - Apple Blossom, Trollius, Lochinch Castle, Azalea, Abutilon, Clematis, Bellis, Heron, Choisya, Paeony.
- 3rd Week May - Orange Tip butterfly, Dicentra (Bleeding Heart), Cassiope var Mertensia Gracilis, Great Crested Grebes, Mallard and Eleven Ducklings, Rhododendron, Trillium Erectum, Damselfly, Abutilon, Mecanopsis, Mistle Thrush, Azaleas.
- 4th Week May - Azalea, Chestnut Flowers, Zantedeschia, Magnolia, Mecanopsis, Potentilla, Apple Blossom, Mallard Ducklings, Coot Chicks, Broom, Halesia, Cornus.
- 1st Week June - Cygnets and Swans, Young Coots, Mallard ducklings, Anstruther Harbour, Ice-cream cone, Eider Ducks, Lilac blossom, Honeysuckle, Cistus flower, Limanthes (or Poached Egg Plant) and Chestnut flowers.
- 2nd Week June - Yellow Iris, Tulip, Deer and Calf, Red Admiral Butterfly, Wisteria, Oystercatchers and Chick, Great Crested Grebe, Young Great Crested Grebe, Female Variable Damselfly and Male Common Blue Damselfly, Melrose Abbey, Eildon Hills near Melrose, Jedburgh Abbey, Roses and Sweet William.
- 3rd Week June - Wild Rose, Pink Purslane, Moorhen and Chicks, White Paeonia, Painted Lady Butterfly, Large Red Damselfly, Young Robin, Red Clover, Canada Geese, Tradescantia, Dactylorhiza (Marsh Orchid), Balkan Holidays Airbus A320, Balgonie Castle, Fife, Foxglove and Cirsium.
- 4th Week June - Swan and Cygnet, Cistus, Abutilon, Common Blue Damselfly, Inchcolm and Firth of Forth, Small Copper Butterfly, Kalmia, Cardiocrinum, Swallow, Mecanopsis, Nomocharis, Luss in Argyll, Kellie Castle in Fife, Campsie Fells and Floribunda Rose
- 1st Week July - Anstruther in the East Neuk of Fife, Astrantia, White Mecanopsis, Lapwing, Scotch Thistle, Begonia, Primula Vialii, Mallard Ducklings, Water Lily, Centaurea Macrocephela, Port Logan Bay, Gazania Northbourne, Carlsluith Castle, Glenluce Abbey, Hemerocallis (Day Lily), Cliffs at the Mull of Galloway, Gladioli "The Bride", South Portland Street pedestrian suspension bridge in Glasgow, Bee and Eryngium, Filipendula, Alstroemeria (also known as the Peruvian Lily), Theatre Royal, Glasgow, Statue, Duke of Wellington, St Andrew's Cathedral, Thalictrum
- 2nd Week July - Flowers include Godetia, Eryngium, Sweet William, White Delphinium, Rose, Nasturtium and Coreopsis; Birds include Heron, Coot mother and newborn chicks, Oystercatchers and Siskin; other graphics include Green-veined White Butterfly, Falkland Palace, Windsurfing, Thistle Onopordum, Red deer and its white fawn, Red deer stag and the Fountain and Lily Pond, Kinross House.
- 3rd week July - Flowers include Dahlia, a Striped Rose, Thistle, Birds-foot Trefoil, Inula, Hydrangea and Lavatera; Birds include Tufted Duck Chick, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a White Peacock; Butterflies include Small Tortoiseshell and a Ringlet; other graphics include Cow Topiary, River Forth at Stirling, Glasgow Harbour, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, Finlaystone House and Drummond Castle.
- 4th week July Flowers include Queen Elizabeth Rose, Lobelia Forming Flag of St Andrew, Lavatera, Helennium, Nemophila Maculata, Inula and Crocosmia; Butterflies include Ringlet and Meadow Brown; other graphics include Fettes College, Edinburgh, Hermitage Castle, Red Sunset, Common Sandpiper and a Bee on a Helichrysum.
- 1st Week August Flowers include Gazania, Eryngium, Hemerocallis, Scabious (or Pin Cushion Flower), Rose, Inula, Hydrangea, Lilies, Hollyhock, Lysimachia Clethroides (Gooseneck Loosestrife), Potentilla, Lilium Tigrinum Turk's Cap, Eupatorium and Yucca; Butterflies include Red Admiral and Green Veined White; other graphics include Finlaystone House, vista of the Firth of Clyde, Lauriston Castle and a Damselfly.
- 2nd Week August Flowers include Geums, Eucryphia, Helenium, Cosmos Sea Shells, Teasel, Phacelia, Rosebuds, Lavatera, Meadowsweet, Astilbe, Sweet Peas, Callistemon (the Bottlebrush flower) and Dierama, ("Angel's Fishing Rods"); Butterflies include Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock; other graphics include Balvaird Castle, Kinross House and Loch Leven Castle, swallow chicks being fed and Paddle Steamer Waverley.
- 3rd Week August Flowers include Thistle Godetia, Mesembryanthemum (also known as Livingston Daisy), Onopordum, ;butterflies and other insects include Peacock, Small Copper, Meadow Brown and Dragonfly Common Darter; and other graphics include a Swan, Tufted Ducks, Young Swallows, Cormorant, Dundee, Tay Road and Rail Bridges, Camperdown House, Dudhope Castle and Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- 4th Week August Flowers this week include Roses, Globe Artichoke, Fuschia, Gladioli and Hydrangeas; birds include Mallard, Starling, Swallows, Sparrowhawk; butterflies include Painted Lady, Red Admiral, Large White, Comma, Peacock; and other graphics include Gourock and Firth of Clyde and Kellie Castle in Fife.
- 1st Week September Flowers this week include Clematis, Chrysanthemums, Gladioli, Dahlia, Southern Catalpa Indian Bean Tree, Helichrysum, Echinacea, Leycesteria Formosa; birds include Wigeon, Gadwall, Black Headed Gull, Magpie; butterflies and other insects include Dragonfly Common Darter, Hover Fly Helophilus Pendulus; and other graphics include Loch Ore in Fife, Culzean Castle, Scone Palace, Hill of Tarvit Mansionhouse, statue of Sir Jimmy Shand.
- 2nd Week September Flowers this week include Rose, Hollyhock, Achillea, Rudbeckia; birds include Robin, Spotted Flycatcher; butterflies include Large White, Comma; and other graphics include Glamis Castle, Grey Squirrel, Italian Garden, Glamis Castle, Anstruther Harbour, Britannia Historical Fishing Boat, Cloch Lighthouse, Skelmorlie Aisle, Drummond Castle Garden.
- 3rd Week September Flowers this week include Heather, Roses and Dahlia; birds include Mallard, Moorhen Chick and Chiffchaff; butterflies and insects include Comma, Common Hawker Dragonfly; and other graphics include Turnberry Golf and Leisure Resort in South Ayrshire, Dunure Castle, Arran from Maidens, Ayrshire, Ailsa Craig from Turnberry, Culzean Castle,
- 4th Week September Flowers this week include Dahlia, Michaelmas Daisy, Anemone Japonica, Clematis, Goldenrod and Antirrhinum ; birds include Swallow ; butterflies and other insects include Painted Lady, Moth Silver Y ; and other graphics include a Stag, Red Victoria Apples, Kinross House, Loch Leven Castle, Gare Loch and Garelochhead,
- 1st Week October Flowers this week include Helenium, Clematis, Common Toadflax, Rosebay Willowherb, Rudbeckia; birds include Ruddy Duck, Swans, Tufted Duck, Cormorants; and other graphics include Forth Bridges, Grangemouth, House of Binns, Linlithgow Palace Fountain, Maid of the Loch on Loch Lomond, Pavement Cafe on Cochrane Street, Glasgow, Loch Long, Newark Castle, Muthill Church in Perthshire, Caldwell Tower in East Renfrewshire.
- 2nd Week October Flowers this week include Diascea, Gaillardia, Helianthus, Anemone Japonica, Rosa Rugosa, Michaelmas Daisies; birds include Dunnock, Peacock; butterflies include Red Admiral, Painted Lady and Small Tortoiseshell; and other graphics include Monikie Country Park, Glasgow Arc, Glasgow City Chambers, George Square, Beresford Hotel Glasgow, Finnieston Crane and SECC, Glasgow Hilton, St Andrew Square Edinburgh, Royal Bank of Scotland Edinburgh.
- 3rd Week October Flowers this week include Helichrysum, Red Ivy, Chrysanthemums, Nerine; birds include Eider Ducks, Gulls, Heron, Cygnet; butterflies include Small Tortoiseshell; and other graphics include Falkland Palace and its garden, Lomond Hills, Loch Leven, Gretna Green Smithy, St Michael's Church, Linlithgow, Linlithgow Palace, King's Fountain, Linlithgow.
- 4th Week October Flowers this week include Dianthus, Delphinium, Hydrangea Tradescantia, Clematis, Rose, Button Crysanthemums, Eucryphia, Nasturtium, Colchicum; birds include Heron and Mandarin Duck; and other graphics include Edinburgh Castle, Princes Street Edinburgh, Peace Garden, Drumpellier Country Park, Drummond Castle Garden, Falkirk Wheel, Red Deer.
- 1st Week November Flowers this week include Mahonia, Houttuynia, Osteospermum, Gazania, Dahlia Rhodendron; birds include Whooper and Mute Swans, Coot, White Duck, Greylag Goose; butterflies include Red Admiral; and other graphics include Hogganfield Loch, Seascape at Dunbarnie Links, Fife, Red Deer Herd and Drummond Castle.
- 2nd Week November Flowers this week include Eucryphia, Pernettya, Hypericum (Rose of Sharon), Antirrhinum, Cistus, Fuchsia; birds include Buzzard, Goosander, Mallard, Great Crested Grebe, Rook, Bullfinch; and other graphics include South Uist from Benbecula, statue of John Witherspoon, Paisley Abbey, War Memorial, Paisley.
- 3rd Week November Flowers this week include Pink Rose, Mahonia; birds include Greylag Geese, Ruddy Duck, Tufted Duck, Golden Eye, Whooper Swans, Black Headed Gull; and other graphics include Dumbarton Castle, Kincardine Bridge.
- 4th Week November Flowers this week include Welsh Poppy and Ornamental Cabbage; birds include Pigeons, Shovelar and Seagull; and other graphics include University of Glasgow, Grey Squirrel, Stewart Fountain, Kelvingrove Park, Monarch Airlines Airbus A300, Hogganfield Loch at Dusk, George Square at Christmas, Great Hall, Stirling Castle, Cenotaph War Memorial, George Square, Glasgow at night, Gallery of Modern Art and Ceiling of Light, Glasgow, Titan Crane Clydebank, Tenement, Glasgow West End.
- 1st and 2nd Week, December Flowers include orchids and pelargonium; birds include kestrel and mallard; and other graphics include sunsets, grey squirrel, Blair Castle in the snow, Limekilns in Fife, Edinburgh skyline from Calton Hill, Jenners Department Store Edinburgh, Ferris Wheel and Scott Monument in Edinburgh, Edinburgh Castle at Night.
- 3rd and 4th Week, December Flowers and plants include Cotoneaster, Rhododendron, Poinsettia, Viburnum; birds include Goosander and Greenfinch; and other graphics include planet Venus, Bank of Scotland at Night, Kibble Palace in Kelvingrove Botanic Gardens, Silverburn Shopping Mall, Dunfermline Abbey and "Abbot's House", Dunfermline.
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
Recent Additions> Feature Pages>
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Butterflies of Scotland>
Castle Photo Library>
Castles To Stay In>
Did You Know?>
Family Tree Research>
Famous Scots Quiz>
Flowers of Scotland>
Glasgow Photo Library>
Great Places to Stay>
Great Places to Eat>
Inventions & Discoveries>
Monarchs of Scotland
Scottish Pictorial Calendar 2012>
Places to Visit>
Poetry from Scotland>
Scottish Myths & Legends>
Scottish Place Names>
Songs of Scotland>
St Andrew Societies>
Symbols of Scotland>
Where Am I? Quiz>
Webcams in Scotland>