Great Places to Stay in Scotland
Here is a growing list of features on a range of up-market hotels and castles where you can enjoy the best of Scottish hospitality and accommodation. The articles are based on the personal experiences of guest travel writer, Vivien Devlin and Scots Heritage Magazine.
- 9b Scotland Street, Edinburgh - creates a homely feel which is appreciated by guests.
- Adamo Hotel, Stirling - smart, informal yet sophisticated, its boutique size makes it convenient and practical.
- Airds Hotel, Port Appin, Argyll - a true hideaway country inn with a genuine warm welcome.
- A List Apartments, Edinburgh and Glasgow - a popular alternative to a hotel.
- Ardanaiseig Hotel - a Victorian mansion in the North-West Highlands.
- Arthouse Hotel, Glasgow - fabulous colours and furnishings, homely comforts.
- Atholl Palace Spa Hotel, Pitlochry - A fine historic Resort Hotel which has certainly changed since welcoming the first guests in 1878!
- Auchen Castle, Beattock, near Moffat, Dumfries and Galloway - an enchanting aristocratic mansion
- Balcary Bay Country House Hotel - on the Solway Firth, Dumfries and Galloway.
- Ballathie House> - in the breathtaking Perthshire countryside.
- Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh - high level of hospitality, homely comfort and exceptional service.
- Barns Tower, near Peebles - a romantic retreat in the Scottish Borders.
- Best Western Bruntsfield Hotel, Edinburgh - charming townhouse hotel with everything for the visitor.
- Bewley's Hotel, Glasgow - highly recommended for comfort, value for money and location.
- Black Bull Hotel, Killearn, Stirlingshire - a modern take on a country inn.
- Boath House, Auldearn, near Nairn, Inverness-shire - named by the AA as the AA’s ‘Scottish Hotel of the Year’ in 2010.
- Bonham Hotel, Edinburgh - an award-winning establishment.
- Borough Hotel, Edinburgh - very informal, private, intimate place to stay.
- Borthwick Castle, Lothians> - Mary Queen of Scots fled here with her third husband.
- Caledonian Waldorf Astoria, Edinburgh - a turreted red stone landmark at the West End of Princes Street since 1903.
- Cameron House - on the shores of Loch Lomond.
- Carrick at Cameron House, Loch Lomond, Argyll - a new time-share and golf development.
- Castle Venlaw, Peebles, Scottish Borders - a chic boutique chateau oozing romantic charm.
- Channings Hotel, Edinburgh - connections withe the Antarctic explorer Shackleton.
- Cloister House, Melrose - formerly a manse house, beside historic Melrose Abbey.
- Cookery Courses Around Scotland - a holiday with personal tuition from the professionals.
- Corner House Hotel, Montrose, Angus - cosily informal, family run, on the High Street.
- Coul House, Strathpeffer> - a get-away-from-it-all country house hotel.
- Craigatin House & Courtyard, Pitlochry - no ordinary B&B - this is a beautifully furnished, contemporary and stylish Country House , where the Andersons will offer a warm welcome to their Highland home.
- Craigellachie Hotel, Speyside, Banffshire - 300 malt whiskies and Hotel Bar of the Year award.
- Craigsanquhar House Hotel, Cupar, Fife - A real country house hotel.
- Creggans Inn, Strachur, Argyll - on the shores of Loch Fyne.
- Cringletie House, Peebles, Scottish Borders - a hidden gem of a country house hotel.
- Cromlix House Hotel, Kinbuck, Perthshire - A memorable sense of calm and relaxation
- Culloden House Hotel, Near Inverness - grand Georgian surroundings with no stuffy formality.
- Culzean Castle, Eisenhower Apartment - live like a President.
- Dalhousie Castle, Lothians> - dine in the dungeons.
- Dalmahoy Hotel and Country Club - not far from Edinburgh.
- Darroch Learg, Ballater, Aberdeenshire - a Highland paradise.
- Donavourd Country House, Pitlochry, Perthshire - homely comforts & superb home-cooking.
- Druimnacroish Hotel, Dervaig, Mull - a wonderfully renovated old farmhouse and watermill.
- Dryfesdale Country House Hotel, near Lockerbie, Dumfries & Galloway - superb views of the countryside.
- Dunblane Hydro - a popular, busy and bustling resort hotel with ideal facilities.
- Edinburgh Residence> - superior accommodation in a choice of suites and apartments.
- Eilean Iarmain Hotel, Skye - a delightful early 19th century inn by the sea.
- Enterkine House, Ayr - a small and private 'home', open to a few select guests.
- Farleyer House, near Aberfeldy - situated in magnificent Perthshire countryside.
- Forest Hills, Kinlochard, Aberfoyle, Stirlingshire - a quiet country house plus excellent sport and leisure.
- The Four Seasons Hotel, St. Fillans - stunning views, good food, relaxing atmosphere.
- Glasshouse, Edinburgh - gorgeous, glittering and glitzy.
- Glengarry Castle Hotel> - on the shores of Loch Oich, in the heart of the Great Glen.
- Glenapp Castle> - a fairytale castle near Ballantrae, Ayrshire.
- Gleneagles Hotel, Perthshire - with its famous golf course.
- Glenmorangie House, Tain, Ross-shire - yes, owned by the whisky company!
- Glenspean Lodge Hotel, Roy Bridge, Invernesshire - a baronial manor, close to Aonach Mor & Ben Nevis.
- Glenteviot Park, Near Hawick, Scottish Borders - the ultimate rural retreat for discerning guests.
- Harmony, Melrose, Scottish Borders - self-catering in a Georgian mansion, built in 1807.
- Hebridean Islands Cruises> - in an award-winning cruise ship.
- Hilton Dundee - spectacular views across the river Tay.
- Hilton Glasgow - luxurious leisure and convention resort in the heart of the city.
- Holyrood Hotel, Edinburgh - winner of "Scottish Hotel of the Year" title.
- Hotel Missoni Edinburgh - Vibrant and vivacious in colour, texture and mood.
- Howard (The) - luxury on an exquisite, small scale in Edinburgh.
- Inn at Inverbeg, Loch Lomond - on the loch side, recently upgraded without losing its traditional charm.
- Inn at Kippen - a country inn for the 21st century.
- Inn at Lathones - in Fife, not far from St Andrews.
- >Inverlochy Castle Hotel, Fort William - admired by Queen Victoria.
- Kenmore Hotel, Perthshire - a charming and unique place to stay, amidst beautiful scenery.
- Kilspindie House, Aberlady, East Lothian - fresh, flavoursome food, a warm welcome & a relaxing, enjoyable stay.
- Kinloch Lodge, Isle of Skye - home of Lord Macdonald and his cookery expert wife Claire.
- Kinnaird, Dunkeld, Perthshire - One of Scotland's Top Ten Hotels.
- Knock Castle Hotel and Spa, Crieff, Perthshire a four star establishment aimed at people who enjoy a high quality product.
- Lennoxlove House, Haddington, East Lothian - an upmarket 5 star exclusive use venue
- Loch Lomond Waterfront Lodges, Balmaha, Stirling - 5 star luxury weekend and holiday lodges.
- Lockerbie Manor, Dumfries and Galloway - an idyllic, wee country house for a relaxing break.
- Lodge on Loch Lomond - a Scandinavian hunting lodge on the bonnie banks.
- Malmaison Hotel, Leith, Edinburgh - ultra cool, contemporary, sophisticated and sexy.
- Marcliffe of Pitfodels, Aberdeen - a small, intimate, luxury hotel offering comfort and hospitality.
- Mar Hall, Bishopton, Near Glasgow - an elegant, romantic country house hotel.
- Mar Lodge, Braemar> - 72,500 acres in the heart of the Cairngorms.
- Melville Castle, Edinburgh - an exceptionally fine hotel in every respect.
- Millennium Hotel, Glasgow - in the heart of the city, overlooking George Square.
- Motel One Edinburgh-Royal - new to the UK in 2013 is the Motel One collection of Budget Designer hotels.
- North West Castle Hotel, Stranraer - in the south-west corner of Scotland.
- Norton House Hotel, Edinburgh - comfort and hospitality with a touch of style.
- Novotel Edinburgh Centre - stylish, modern, 4-star hotel with fabulous service.
- Old Course Hotel, St Andrews - overlooking the 17th green.
- Old Mill Hotel, Pitlochry - smart, contemporary city boutique hotel inside an old stone and oak beam mill house, with a cosy pub and restaurant with very classy furnishings throughout.
- One Devonshire Gardens - timeless quality, captivating ambience, sheer luxury.
- Orient Express of the North - a trip on the luxury train "Northern Belle".
- Peebles Hotel Hydro - the ultimate family resort.
- Philipburn Country House, Selkirk - a 250-years-old, family run hotel in the Scottish Borders.
- Poole House Hotel, Wester Ross - once the home of the founder of Inverewe Garden.
- Princes Street Suites, Edinburgh - self catering in a brilliant location and awesome views of Edinburgh
- Radisson Blu Edinburgh, The Royal Mile - cool, contemporary and very classy in the city centre.
- Radisson Blu Hotel - an eyecatching new hotel in the centre of Glasgow.
- Ramada Jarvis, Glasgow Airport - modern, sleek design, comfortable, homely accommodation.
- Reid's Hotel, Madeira - founded by a Scot in 1891.
- Rodel Hotel, Isle of Harris - a perfect place to relax and recharge the batteries.
- Roman Camp Country House - recreates the ambience of the original shooting lodge.
- Roxburghe Hotel and Golf Course> - 19th century Borders mansion.
- Royal Dunkeld Hotel - an excellent example of a mid-priced hotel, set in a beautiful part of Scotland, where the best traditions of Scottish hospitality are being maintained.
- Royal Hotel, Tighnabruaich, Kyles of Bute, Argyll - quality food and high standard of cuisine.
- Royal Mile Residence - luxury self-catering in Edinburgh's historic heart.
- Royal Scotsman> - a Scottish Palace on wheels.
- Rufflets Hotel, St Andrews - celebrating its Golden Jubilee.
- St. Andrews Bay Golf Resort and Spa - a five-star hotel overlooking St Andrews Bay, Fife.
- Scotsman Hotel, Edinburgh - a former newspaper office on North Bridge.
- Scottish Apartment.com, Edinburgh - standard and budget graded serviced flats around Edinburgh.
- Sheraton Grand Edinburgh - a five star hotel combined with a health spa.
- Shieldhill Castle> - a grand Scottish baronial country mansion in Lanarkshire.
- St. Andrews Golf Hotel, St Andrews - welcoming and friendly, with chic, sleek bedrooms, right on the seafront.
- Stobo Castle - a Health Spa near Peebles in the Scottish Borders.
- Taychreggan Hotel, Loch Awe - a remote hotel in Argyll.
- Turnberry Resort - with golf course, spa and loads of outdoor activities in Ayrshire.
- Tower of Hallbar, Lanarkshire> - a sixteenth century fifty-eight foot Tower.
- Ullinish Country Lodge, Isle of Skye - peace and tranquility in spades...
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
News & Views>
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Scottish Pictorial Calendar>
Places to Visit>