Great Places to Eat in Scotland
There are lots of great eating places in Scotland. Many are listed under the Taste of Scotland pages on this site. And the pages of Great Places to Stay have many hotels where gourmet eating can often be found.
While many of these restaurants are great for special occasions, those listed below are not only personally recommended by travel writer Vivien Devlin or by "Scottie" - the editor of this Web site - but have been selected because they are good value for money - and places where we would want to go back ourselves! So if you are looking for a restaurant or bistro, particularly (but not exclusively) in Edinburgh, Glasgow or central Scotland generally, have a browse through the reviews listed below.
- Abstract, Castle Terrace, Edinburgh - exciting cuisine in a glamorous setting.
- Always Sunday, High Street, Edinburgh - won an award as "Best new café in Scotland"
- Ardardan Estate Coffee Shop, Cardross, Argyll - fresh eggs from the adjacent farm.
- Baloo, Queen Street, Glasgow - a superb snack or meal any time.
- Bank Restaurant, Adamo Hotel, Stirling - - Appropriately, Adamo is the Latin for "find pleasure in."
- Basement Restaurant, Broughton Street, Edinburgh - fun and jollity come with lashings of good food and excellent value.
- Bellini Italian Restaurant, Edinburgh - a fabulous menu of gourmet Italian food.
- Bisque Bar & Brasserie, Bruntsfield Place, Edinburgh - casual, contemporary and flexible
- The Boathouse, South Queensferry - overlooking the spectacular bridges over the Forth.
- Bouzy Rouge - "Casual Gourmet" dining in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Airdrie and Dunblane
- Cafe Fish, Leith - enjoy prime seafood and fine wine, by the sea.
- Circus Wine Bar and Grill, North Castle Street, Edinburgh - smart, fine dining restaurant with colour and buzz.
- Coach House Coffee Shop, Luss - home baking on the shores of Loch Lomond.
- Cruz, The Shore, Leith, Edinburgh - on board a ship moored against the harbour wall
- EH2 Tempus - good, fresh, well-prepared food, for people with limited time. --> --> -->
- Fishers in the City, Edinburgh - a seafood bistro in the very heart of the capital. -->
- Gallery Restaurant and Bar, National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh - top notch 5-star hotel restaurant standard.
- Giffnock Ivy, East Renfrewshire - Scottish and French cuisine with a twist.
- Gloagburn Farm Shop, Tibbermore, near Perth - family run, with emphasis is on wholesome, delicious, locally produced food.
- Green Door Steakhouse, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh - cool, contemporary and stylish.
- Gusto, George Street, Edinburgh - seriously good Italian cuisine at affordable prices.
- Hamilton's Bar and Kitchen, Stockbridge, Edinburgh - gourmet pub grub with good value for hungry diners.
- Henderson's Salad Table, Edinburgh - gourmet vegetarian cuisine.
- Hewat's Restaurant, Causewayside, Edinburgh - outstanding value for an outstanding, first rate meal.
- Howgate Bar and Restaurant, Howgate, Midlothian - smart, sassy, wee country inn run with pride and passion
- Hudson, Hope Street, Edinburgh - - a spirit of youthful, artistic, modern day New York, with good American/Latino food.
- Howies Restaurants, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen - fine dining on a budget.
- Iglu Bar and Organic Eatery, Edinburgh - unique menu specialising in healthy, fresh, organic food.
- Ignite, Edinburgh - for all who enjoy a slap up Indian meal.
- Indian Cavalry Club, Edinburgh - a lively atmosphere and a true taste of the British Raj.
- India Quay, Finnieston Street, Glasgow - gives the taste buds a good exercising in a relaxed atmosphere.
- The Inn at Inverbeg, Loch Lomond, Argyll - traditional food in a relaxed, modernised environment.
- Inn at Kippen - a country inn, with a cosy, welcoming pub atmosphere and generous portions of tasty food.
- Kinloch Lodge, Sleat, Isle of Skye - the co-owner is a world-renowned cookery writer.
- The Kitchin, Leith, Edinburgh - modern Scottish with classic French undertones.
- La Concha, Stockbridge, Edinburgh - appetising menu, cosy atmosphere and fine Italian dining.
- La Lanterna, Edinburgh - genuine Italian family restaurant with good food at competitive prices.
- La Parmigiana, Great Western Road, Glasgow - providing Glaswegians with great Italian food for nearly 30 years. -->
- La Tasca, Edinburgh (& Glasgow) - part of a chain of tapas bars across the UK.
- L'Escargot Bleu, Broughton, Edinburgh - a truly authentic French bistro
- Little Italy, Byres Road, Glasgow - stands out from the crowd with a fuss-free attitude to food and unpretentious style.
- Livingston's Restaurant, Linlithgow - enjoy the garden view - and Mrs Livingston's tablet.
- Milton Restaurant, Crathes, Banchory - stunning setting on the banks of the River Dee
- Mono, King's Court, Glasgow - a superb menu of vegan cuisine.
- Monster Mash, Edinburgh and Glasgow - retro café serving classic home-cooked food.
- Montpeliers Bar & Brasserie, Edinburgh - a chic cafe in daytime, cool cocktail bar and smart restaurant at night.
- Mya Thai and Indian Restaurant, Leith, Edinburgh - a unique blend of Thai and Northern Indian cuisine. -->
- North Bridge Brasserie, Edinburgh - stylish, contemporary food in surroundings to match.
- Off The Wall, Edinburgh - superb Scottish cuisine on the Royal Mile.
- Oloroso, Edinburgh - one of the classiest and stylish places to eat in the capital.
- Palmerston's Restaurant, Morningside, Edinburgh - the "Crème de la Crème."
- Paperino's, Byres Road, Glasgow - Italian pizzeria at its best.
- Pataka Indian and Bengali Restaurant, Edinburgh Chosen to represent Edinburgh in the Curry Capital of Britain 2007
- Point Hotel Restaurant, Edinburgh - a class apart, combining traditional style with contemporary design.
- Rafael, Edinburgh - a lively, Spanish bistro.
- Scotch Malt Whisky Society - friendly, warm, members' club ambience, good service, food and drink.
- The Seafood Restaurant, St Andrews, Fife - AA Restaurant of the Year 2004-5 and 3 AA rosettes in 2005.
- Shaws Bistro & International Tapas Bar - Around the World in 80 Dishes.
- Sheriffmuir Inn, Stirlingshire - an up-market restaurant in a wild, historic location.
- Sisters, Jordanhill, Glasgow - delicate flavours blend together to create a most delightful menu.
- Spoon Café Bistro, Nicolson Street, Edinburgh - charming and relaxing place where "Harry Potter" was written by J K Rowling
- Stac Polly, St. Mary Street, Edinburgh -a casual, friendly, welcoming Bistro
- The Standard, Howe Street, Edinburgh - classy but casual, elegant but informal.
- Stockbridge Restaurant, Edinburgh - imaginative dishes, charming, romantic ambience.
- Sun Inn, Lothianbridge - excellent food is a delight to the eye as well as the palate.
- Tempus at The George Hotel, Edinburgh Pub grub artistically presented in sophisticated hotel restaurant style.
- Tequila Joe's, Hanover Street, Edinburgh - authentic Tequila cocktails, music, entertainment and food.
- Tex Mex II, Edinburgh - Look out for the Flaming Fajita, set on fire with a splash of Tequila!
- Thali Indian Tapas, Albion Street, Glasgow - food is a delight to the eye as well as to taste
- Tigerlily, George Street, Edinburgh - the mood, style and atmosphere are as exciting as the food.
- Tonic, North Castle Street, Edinburgh - now regarded as Edinburgh's original and premier cocktail bar.
- Two Fat Ladies, Glasgow - a deserved reputation for well-prepared sea food and shellfish
- Uplawmoor Hotel, Renfrewshire - - a country inn that aims to exceed customer expectations - and succeeds.
- Victoria's Restaurant and Coffee Shop, Pitlochry - the menu is truly extensive and suits all nationalities and appetites.
- VinCaffé, Multrees Walk, Edinburgh - imagine yourself sitting in a Milan café.
- Voujon, Newington Road, Edinburgh - all the great flavours of Bengal and Northern India in attractive surroundings.
- Zest, North St Andrew Street, Edinburgh - combining quality Scottish produce with Indian cooking skills.
- Zizzi Italian Restaurant, Ocean Terminal, Leith - great menu, great view.
- Zucca, Edinburgh - a superb upmarket Italian ristorante.
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Scottish Pictorial Calendar 2014>
Places to Visit>