Museum of Flight, East Fortune
- Vickers Supermarine Spitfire XV1e
Having earlier created the Supermarine S.4/S.5/S.6 series of aircraft to win the Scneider Trophy, the legendary Supermarine Spitfire was designed as a private venture by the company's chief designer, R.J. Mitchell. The prototype, powered by the Rolls Royce Merlin engine, first flew in March 1936. Together with the Hawker Hurricane, it formed the backbone of Fighter Command in the Battle of Britain in August/September 1940. At the start of that conflicte there were 19 RAF Squadrons equipped with Spitfires and 32 Squadrons with Hurricanes.
The Spitfire in the Museum of Flight is a Vickers Supermarine Type 380 Spitfire LF.XVIe. It had an American Packard-built Merlin engine, a "bubble" canopy and clipped wings. Built in 1945, TE462 never saw active squadron service and was used mainly by maintenance units. It eventually became "gate guardian" at RAF Ouston, Yorkshire and in 1971 became the first aeroplane acquired by the Royal Scottish Museum.
This is the last page in the Museum of Flight series. Return to the Thumbnails Index>.
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
News & Views>
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Scottish Pictorial Calendar>
Places to Visit>