Glasgow Photo Library
- Holmwood House
This elaborate villa was designed by Alexander "Greek " Thomson, who enjoys an international reputation as one of Scotland's most original designers.
Holmwood was built in 1857-8 near what was, at that time, the village of Cathcart, perched above the White Cart Water, looking towards the woods of the Linn Park, one of Glasgow's many public spaces. It was built for two brothers, James and Robert Couper who owned a paper mill nearby.
In those days, traditional villas were built in Italian or Tudor styles so Thomson's Greek composition was most unusual. Thomson also created plasterwork moulding and decoration inside the building (described at the time as "one of the most important and experimental nineteenth-century Scottish interiors") as well as carpets and furniture for the house.
See also Places to Visit - Holmwood House> for more information and illustrations.
Go to the next Glasgow location: House for an Art Lover
Or return to the Glasgow Photo Library Index>.
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
News & Views>
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Scottish Pictorial Calendar>
Places to Visit>