Glasgow Photo Library
- Beresford Hotel
This Art-Deco building on Sauchiehall Street was originally built as the Beresford Hotel for the Empire Exhibition in Glasgow in 1938. The owner was also the architect and he created a cinema-style frontage to attract customers. Its then "modern" architecture was disliked when it was built and its mustard-coloured stonework with red fins was rather unkindly described as "custard and rhubarb architecture".
The building later became an office block and then was converted into accommodation for students as the Baird Halls of Residence. In recent years, it has seen had a makeover with scarlet and black fins and flagpoles at the top of the bulbous drum towers, returning to its original name of Beresford Hotel
It later was converted to serviced apartments as "Beresford Apartments".
Go to the next Glasgow location: Bewley's Hotel
Or return to the Glasgow Photo Library Index>.
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
News & Views>
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Scottish Pictorial Calendar>
Places to Visit>