- Hall of the Heroes
Within the William Wallace National Monument> is the "Hall of Heroes" containing busts of sixteen well known Scots. The entire group is not perhaps the "top 16" on everyone's list but the selection does reflect the views of the individuals and organisations of the 19th century views who presented them for display in the Wallace Monument. A number of these heroes are included in the other pages of this feature on Famous Scots but the links below are to external sites.
The busts are of :
- Sir David Brewster> (1781 - 1868), scientist and inventor.
- Robert the Bruce> (1274 - 1329), King of Scotland and national hero.
- George Buchanan> (1506 - 1582), historian and scholar.
- Robert Burns> (1759 - 1796), poet. (Graphic above)
- Thomas Carlyle> (1795 - 1881)writer and sage.
- Thomas Chalmers>(1780 - 1847), preacher and writer.
- William Ewart Gladstone> (1809 - 1898), politician and UK prime minister.
- John Knox> (1505 - 1572), religious reformer.
- David Livingstone> (1813 - 1873), missionary and explorer.
- Hugh Miller> (1802 - 1856), writer and geologist.
- William Murdock> (1754-1839), pioneer of gas lighting.
- Allan Ramsey> (1685 - 1758), poet and man of letters.
- Sir Walter Scott> (1771 - 1832), writer, poet and nationalist.
- Adam Smith> (1723 - 1790), economist and philosopher.
- Robert Tannahill> (1774 - 1810), songwriter.
- James Watt> (1736-1819), inventor and developer of the steam engine.
Return to the Index of Famous Scots>
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
News & Views>
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Butterflies of Scotland>
Castle Photo Library>
Castles To Stay In>
Did You Know?>
Family Tree Research>
Famous Scots Quiz>
Flowers of Scotland>
Glasgow Photo Library>
Great Places to Stay>
Great Places to Eat>
Inventions & Discoveries>
Monarchs of Scotland
Scottish Pictorial Calendar>
Scotland in Colour -
Week By Week>
Places to Visit>
Poetry from Scotland>
Scottish Myths & Legends>
Scottish Place Names>
Songs of Scotland>
St Andrew Societies>
Symbols of Scotland>
Where Am I? Quiz>
Webcams in Scotland>