- Page 2
Liberton Tower, Edinburgh
Liberton Tower dates from the late 15th century and was originally owned by the Dalmahoy family. But it was abandoned in the 17th century when William Little, Lord Provost of Edinburgh abandoned it when he built Liberton House. The Castles of Scotland Preservation Trust have restored it and it is available as a venue for business meetings as well as providing over-night accommodation.
Located in a secluded situation on the bank of the North Esk river within a fifty acre wooded estate, Melville Castle is just beyond the south-east boundary of Edinburgh. Designed by James Playfair principally for entertaining on a grand scale, it was built in 1786 on the site of the old medieval castle for the first Viscount Melville. It has been restored and refurbished to provide a luxury hotel which specialises in Wedding Receptions, Conferences and Corporate Events.
Located on the north-western shore of Loch Fyne, three-quarters of a mile (1km) from the Inveraray to Lochgilphead road, Minard Castle is a historic house dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. It offers 4-star bed & breakfast accommodation in the castle itself, or The Lodge, a centrally heated self-catering property in the castle grounds.
North West Castle, Stranraer
The property was built in 1820 for Sir John Ross, a famous Arctic Explorer, built a magnificent family home right on the seashore at Stranraer, with uninterrupted views up the length of Loch Ryan. There are 73 bedrooms and suites in the original house plus a more recent (1970s) wing. The Penthouse Suite on the top floor is a wonderful bedroom which also has two balconies at the front and back where you can sit outside for breakfast.
Plane Castle, Stirling>
Located on the edge of the battlefield of Bannockburn, Plane (or Plean) Castle was built in the 15th century by the Sommervilles. Larger windows and an extra floor were added around 1900 during renovations after it had become a ruin. Guests area encouraged to bring their own flag or banner and to fly it from the battlements while in residence!
Rumgally House, St Andrews, Fife
This was originally a hunting lodge in the 15th century but passed to the Scotts of Balwearie in 1528. Set in 25 acres of beautiful countryside, bed and breakfast accommodation can be provided for up to seven guests.
Shieldhill Castle, Biggar, South Lanarkshire
Dating from the 12th century, in delightfully pretty parkland, this was the family seat of the Chancellor family for over 700 years. there are still many original features, such as engraved family crests and shields, chimney-pieces, the Old Keep and the spiral staircase linking the hall to the library, formerly the chapel, and dating from 1199. Bedrooms and honeymoon suites are so luxurious that you may not wish to leave your room. Named after famous Scottish battles they are all completely individual.
Stobo Castle Health Club, near Peebles
The castle was built in 1811 for Sir James Montgomery and his family who stayed there for 100 years. Latterly, the Countess of Dysart resided here until the mid sixties. After a complete renovation the castle was transformed into a Health Spa, combining the latest health and beauty therapies within the setting of a grand and classic baronial country house.
Stonefield Castle, Mull of Kintyre>
Stonefield Castle is in the Scottish Baronial style, built in 1837 and originally home to the Campbell family. There are views over Loch Fyne, and only two miles from Tarbert, an attractive fishing village.
Stuart Castle, Inverness>
Named after James Stuart, Mary Queen of Scots' half brother, who was given the title of Earl of Moray. Both he and the 2nd Earl were murdered so the castle was not completed 1625 by the 3rd Earl. It is a tower house which may incorporate parts of an earlier building. The neighbouring Macintoshes captured the castle not long after it had been completed as they disputed ownership. It was abandoned early in the 19th century but was renovated in 1977 (by a Stuart) and now takes paying guests.
Sundrum Castle, Ayr>
Sundrum incorporates a 14th century tower with walls 12 feet thick which was once owned by the Wallaces of Sundrum. The original castle was radically altered when a Georgian mansion was built round it in 1793. The building is said to be haunted by a "Green Lady". It became a hotel at one point but is now divided into self-catering apartments and there are also bungalows in the grounds.
Torrisdale Castle, Carradale, Argyll>
Built in 1815 and extended at the start of the 19th century, the ground floor has been converted into three luxury self- catering apartments.
Tower of Hallbar, Carluke, Lanarkshire>
The Scottish Parliament passed a law in 1535 requiring any Border landowner with property worth over one hundred pounds to build a protective tower as a defence against Border outlaws or reivers. The Tower of Hallbar was built in response to this and was originally a Douglas stronghold. It became derelict but is now being renovated by the Vivat Trust to create self-catering accommodation for up to seven people.
Tower of Lethendy, Meikleour, Perthshire
This is a 16th or 17th century tower house built in red sandstone which was extended in the 19th century to create a large mansion house. Originally the property of the Herons, John Graham of Claverhouse was a descendant of a daughter of this family. There is accommodation for up to 14 at prices from £16,000 per week, fully staffed and catered.
Tullibole Castle, Crook of Devon, Kinross was completed in 1608 and the Moncreiff family have lived there since 1747. Guests use the Great Hall with its enormous log fire and family portraits on the first floor as their own sitting room, reached by a winding stone spiral staircase. Outside there are two historic ruins - a 9th century Celtic graveyard and remnants of a ruined medieval church - and a 150 yard ‘moat' and doocot sit in parkland. There is a 260 acre estate and the owner is Lieutenant to the Chief of the Moncreiff Clan. Loch Leven Nature Reserve with bird watching and trout fishing is on the doorstep as well as lots of pleasant walks.
Tulloch Castle Hotel, Dingwall, Inverness-shire
The castle may incorporate parts of an original 12th or 13th century building though much of it is from the 16th and 17th century. It is said to be haunted by a "Green Lady".
Venlaw Castle, Peebles>
The Hay family had a 14th century castle here called Smithfield. Venlaw Castle was built in the Scottish Baronial Style on the same site in 1782 and was owned by the Elphinstones in the 19th century. It was enlarged in 1854 and is set in four acres of woodland.
Wedderburn Castle, Duns, Berwickshire>
A Georgian castle built in 1785 on the site of an earlier building, Wedderburn Castle is set in 60 acres of parkland. The entire castle must be hired (sleeping 22-28).
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
News & Views>
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Scottish Pictorial Calendar>
Places to Visit>
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?