This is the index page for accessing the Winzip compressed files of graphics from Rampant Scotland which you can download to use as screensavers using readily available free software.
In the days of black and white cathode ray tube monitors, screensavers were initially designed to prevent phosphor burn-in on PC computer monitors by blanking the screen or filling it with moving images or patterns when the computer was not in use. When the need for such software became redundant, however, they had become popular for entertainment - fish swimming in an aquarium was very popular. In recent years, free software to display a user's own graphics have beoome widely available - even to the extent of Microsoft Windows including a screensaver as a standard part of their installation.
Over the last seventeen years the Rampant Scotland site has created many collections of graphics about a wide range of aspects of Scotland and users have been free to download these for personal (but not commercial) use. But the graphics on Web pages are usually not large enough to fill an entire screen, especially the large screens currently available. So a selection of larger sized graphics has been compressed using Winzip software (free versions are readily available - I use 7-Zip) and can be downloaded from the list below.
Picasa also has a free screensaver (Windows only) which adds some pan and zoom and if you press the space bar while it's running, allows you to browse through the pictures. If you have Picasa, go to Tools/Configure Screensaver - there are lots of options! Or download and install Picasa via Picasa Photos Screensaver.
NOTE - this project is a "work-in-progress" and further WinZip files will be added - so make sure you bookmark this page and check back for more Scottish screensaver graphics files!
Right click on the link and from the sub-menu select "Save link as" (in Firefox) or right click and select "save target as" (in Internet Explorer). Select "Save as" when the option pop-up appears.
Unpack the WinZip file into a new folder (make sure you know where it is so you can point the screensaver to them!). Set up the screensaver via Picasa Tools/Configure Screensaver or via Control Panel / Settings /Personalisation/ Screen Saver and select the appropriate saver - Windows saver is usually "Photos".
- Edinburgh (1) 39 graphics, 19.7mb - Includes One o'clock gun, Balmoral hotel, Botanic gardens, Charlotte square, Edinburgh city crest, Dynamic Earth, Edinburgh castle, Edinburgh airport, Ferris wheel and Scott monument, Festival Fringe, Fettes college, gallery of modern art, George hotel, Greyfriars Bobby, Haymarket station, David Hume statue, Jenners department store, Last Drop Bar in Lawnmarket, Lincoln Memorial, Monymusk Reliquary, National Gallery, Edinburgh Observatory, Palace of Holyroodhouse, Scottish Parliament, Pollok Halls in Edinburgh University, Princes Street, Ramsay Gardens, Royal Mile, Scott Monument, Scottish Executive offices, St Andrew Square, St John's Kirk, St Mary's church, tour bus, West Bow Street, Zoo entrance.
- Edinburgh (2) 39 graphics, 19.7mb - Includes Balmoral Hotel, Bank of Scotland at night, Botanic Gardens, Clydesdale Bank Plaza, Dynamic Earth, Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh International Conference Centre, Ferris Wheel at Christmas, Fettes College, Harvey Nichols, Former High School, Irn-Bru Taxi, "Kidnapped" statue, Lord Kitchener, Mary Queen of Scots, Murrayfield Stadium, National Gallery, National Monument, Palace of Holyroodhouse, Scottish Parliament, Princes Street, Ross Fountain, Royal Scots Greys Monument, Scott Monument, St Giles, St John's Kirk, Tolbooth, US War Memorial, Penguins in Edinburgh Zoo.
- Fife (1) 29 graphics, 22.5mb - Includes Aberdour, St Fillans church, Anstruther, Balgonie Castle, Cambo gardens, Andrew Carnegie, Crail, Robinson Crusoe house, Culross, Dunfermline Abbey, Falkland and Falkland Palace, Hill of Tarvit, Jimmy Shand statue, Kellie Castle, Pittenweem, Ravenscraig Castle, St Andrews Golf Course, St Andrews Cathedral, Wemyss Castle.
- Glasgow (1) - 33 graphics, 23.9mb - Includes "Armadillo" at the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre, Bells Bridge, Buchanan Street, Charing Cross, Doulton Fountain, Finnieston Crane, Finnieston Bridge (aka "Squinty Bridge"), Gallery of Modern Art, Glasgow Cathedral, Glasgow Coat of Arms, Glasgow Hilton, Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow Science Centre, Hampden Stadium, HMS Daring Launch, Hogganfield Loch, Ibrox Stadium, Italian Centre, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Kibble "Palace", Mitchell Library, Necropolis, River Clyde, Sauchiehall Street, Scotland Street School, Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre, Templeton Carpet Factory / Business Centre, University of Glasgow.
- Perthshire (1) 33 graphics, 33.4mb - Includes Aberfeldy Black Watch Memorial, Aberfeldy Wade's Bridge, Abernethy Tower, Birnam Beatrix Potter Garden,Blair Castle's Hercules Garden, Blair Castle, Castle Menzies, View from Cluny House, Drummond Castle Butterflies, Drummond Castle, Drummond Castle Garden, Elcho Castle, Falls of Dochart, Huntingtower Castle, Kenmore village, Loch Earn, Crannog in Loch Tay, Loch Tay, Megginch Castle, Muthill Parish Church, Pitlochry Atholl Palace Hotel, Pitlochry Fisher's Hotel, Pitlochry Main Street, Pitlochry Plant Hunters' Garden, Pitlochry Whisky, River Tay, Schiehallion Mountain, Scone Comma Butterfly, Scone Palace Garden, Scone Palace, Sma' Glen, Taymouth Castle.
- Scottish Castles (1) - 32 graphics, 20.6mb - Includes Balvaird, Blackness, Blair, Broughty, Buchanan, Caerlaverock, Claypotts, Craigievar, Culzean, Dean, Edinburgh, Fraser, Glamis, Hermitage, Inveraray, Kelburn, Kellie, Kilbryde, Lochinch, Menzies, Rothesay, Smailholm, St Andrews, Stirling, Taymouth, Urquhart.
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
All Features Index>
Castle Photo Library>
Castles To Stay In>
Did You Know?>
Family Tree Research>
Famous Scots Quiz>
Flowers of Scotland>
Glasgow Photo Library>
Great Places to Stay>
Great Places to Eat>
Inventions & Discoveries>
Monarchs of Scotland
Scottish Pictorial Calendar 2013>
Places to Visit>