Traditional Scottish Recipes
- Tian Of White Crab, Avocado and Langoustine Emulsion
This recipe (and illustration) for a Tian of White Crab comes from the Head Chef Julian Wright of the 2 AA rosette restaurant Livingston's, based in Linlithgow. The ingredients below are sufficient for four people.
Ingredients:Return to the Index of Traditional Scottish Recipes>
For the Tian
- 6oz (170g) White Crabmeat
- 2 Avocados, Ripe, Peeled and Roughly Chopped
- 6 Langoustines (shell on). Peel and keep the shells and claws (discard head)
- 1 Chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Fresh Coriander, chopped
- Zest Coriander, chopped
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 oz (55g) Mascarpone
For the Emulsion
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, peeled
- Langoustine Shells and Claws
- 1 Carrot, finely chopped
- 1 Knob of Butter
- 2 Dashes of Tabasco
- 2 Dashes of Worcester Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of Tomato Puree
- 1 Glass of White Wine
- 1 Pint (20 fluid ounces = 600ml = Two and a half cups) of Water
- 100ml (3.5 UK fluid ounces/0.4 US cups) Milk
Sweat off all the ingredients for the emulsion in a heavy based pan and add tomato puree. Cook on a high heat for 2 minutes to soak up all juices, then add wine and reduce. Add water, cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes and strain through a fine sieve. Add milk and reserve.
In a bowl place crabmeat, coriander, zest of lemon, mascarpone and mix. Season. In another bowl, place avocado, chilli, juice of lemon and season.
Ring both mixes and place one on top of the other and place on plate. Whisk up langoustine and milk with a hand blender till frothy and spoon around your Tian. Garnish with whole langoustine and sprinkle with chopped coriander.
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
News & Views>
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Scottish Pictorial Calendar>
Places to Visit>