Glasgow Photo Library
- University of Glasgow
The University of Glasgow was founded in 1451 by Papal Bull. At first, classes were held in the Chapter House of Glasgow Cathedral. It was not until the 17th century that the University obtained its own buildings in the High Street.
The University transferred to the present site on Gilmorehill in the West End of the city in 1870. The magnificent main building was designed in the Gothic style by Sir George Gilbert Scott. With its prominent position on the top of a hill (and the river Kelvin below) it is seen from all over the city and beyond its boundaries.
The layout of the main building (two main quadrangles behind the frontage) and the turreted corner towers are ghosts of the Old College building in High Street and the crowstepped pavilions which flank the long southern facade are based on the chapter hhouse of Glasgow Cathedral
Go to the next Glasgow location: Waverley Paddle Steamer
Or return to the Glasgow Photo Library Index>.
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
News & Views>
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Scottish Pictorial Calendar>
Places to Visit>