Glasgow Photo Library
- Provands Lordship
Standing opposite Glasgow Cathedral, Provand's Lordship is the oldest surviving house in Glasgow. It was built in 1471 in the reign of King James III, by Bishop Andrew Muirhead as the Preceptor's House of the Hospital of St Nicholas. His coat of arms can be seen on the southern wall of the house.
Later, in the 19th century, it became the manse of the Prebendary of Balernock. He was also the Lord of Provand (now Provan, a district of Glasgow), hence the name "Provand's Lordship" which dates from that time.
By the end of the 19th century it was falling into disrepair and was going to be demolished. However, it was taken over by the Provand's Lordship Society and turned into a museum, helped in 1927 by furniture provided by Sir William Burrell. At the rear of the building (pictured above) there is now a medieval herb garden which somehow survives all the fumes from the passing traffic.
See also Places to Visit - Provands Lordship> for more information and illustrations.
Go to the next Glasgow location: Queen's Cross Church
Or return to the Glasgow Photo Library Index>.
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
News & Views>
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Scottish Pictorial Calendar>
Places to Visit>