Glasgow Photo Library
- Parkhead Football Ground
Celtic Football Club was formally constituted in Calton, Glasgow, in 1867, initially to alleviate poverty in Glasgow's East End parishes. The club moved to its present ground in Parkhead in 1892. Over the years, Celtic and their rivals Rangers have dominated Scottish football.
Celtic's most successful season was in 1967 when they won every competition entered: Scottish League, Scottish Cup, League Cup, Glasgow Cup and crowned it all with a 2-1 victory over Inter Milan in the European Cup final in Lisbon on May 25, 1967. Celtic thus became the first British (and non-Latin) club to win Europe's most coveted trophy.
With Celtic's strong Catholic connections, the ground at Parkhead is often referred to as "Paradise". It was upgraded during the 1990s and now is capable of holding 60,500 spectators in all-seated comfort.
Go to the next Glasgow location: Pollok House
Or return to the Glasgow Photo Library Index>.
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
News & Views>
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Scottish Pictorial Calendar>
Places to Visit>