Glasgow Photo Library
- Caledonian Road Church
The Caledonian Road Church, standing like a sentinel on the southern approach to the Gorbals area of Glasgow, was designed by Alexander "Greek" Thomson for the United Presbyterian congregation. Thomson was an elder of the congregation, had a family pew there and worshipped in the church until his death (he is buried in an un-marked grave in the Southern Necropolis, not far away from the church).
Thomson's three religious buildings have been described as "the finest Romantic Classical churches in the world". The architect earned his nickname "Greek" because of his style and decoration - though many of his features are more Egyptian than Greek.
The Caledonia Road church was dedicated in 1857 but declining population and membership in the area resulted in the church closing in 1962. Glasgow Corporation took it over but it was neglected and in 1965 a fire gutted the building. Attempts to demolish it were resisted but even Glasgow's celebrations as "UK City of Architecture and Design" in 1999 failed to produce any concrete plans for restoration.
Go to the next Glasgow location: Glasgow Cathedral
Or return to the Glasgow Photo Library Index>.
Where else would you like to go in Scotland?
News & Views>
All Features Index>
Search This Site>
Scottish Pictorial Calendar>
Places to Visit>